Alcohol use disorder is when a person develops a habit of consuming alcohol. Alcohol Use Disorder causes problems controlling drinking, getting addicted to it, or proceeding with consuming alcohol, besides knowing it causes serious health complications.
This disorder also includes “binge drinking,” which means consuming more than 4 to 5 drinks within 2 hours. Binge drinking can cause serious health issues. Alcohol use disorder can be mild or life-threatening. However, even a mild disorder can lead to serious problems, so prompt treatment is needed.
Consuming alcohol might seem tempting because when you do that, you forget the worries of your life and remain in another zone for a long time. But it has lifelong impacts on your health. Not in just one, but it damages your body in various ways. Whatever you intake is metabolized by your liver. When you consume too much alcohol, it damages your liver cells and can even lead to fatty liver and cirrhosis. If you consume too much alcohol, you must attend follow-up visits with your doctor so that they can keep a check on your health. To get an expert opinion, you can consult an Internal medicine Doctor in Islamabad.
The following factors play an essential role in alcohol use disorder :
- Drinking at an early age is a risk factor for AUD
- People with a family history of alcohol problems are more prone to developing AUD.
- People suffering from some mental health conditions and a history of trauma are more susceptible to developing alcohol use disorder.
- Peer influence can also make a person develop an alcohol use disorder.
- Some people may consider drinking alcohol a way to escape the harsh realities of life and consequently get addicted to it.
Alcohol use disorder may be mild or, in certain circumstances, can also be life-threatening. Signs and symptoms may include:
- Being incapable of restricting the amount of alcohol you drink
- Desire to reduce the alcohol you consume but unable to do so
- Getting a strong urge to consume alcohol
- Unable to achieve major responsibilities at work, school, or home due to repeated alcohol consumption
- Going on with alcohol consumption even though you know it is resulting in physical, social, work, or relationship problems
- Trying to reduce social and work activities so that you can drink alcohol.
- Consuming a lot amount of alcohol that you start developing tolerance to it and need more alcohol to feel its effect
- Undergoing withdrawal symptoms — such as nausea, vomiting, insomnia, sweating, and shaking — when you do not drink.
Alcohol intoxication can cause many behavioral problems and mental changes. It can result in unstable moods, poor judgment, slurred speech, inability to concentrate, and poor coordination. You may also experience “blackouts,” where you do not remember events once you consume alcohol. A severe increase in the alcohol levels in your blood can cause coma, which can also lead to death.
Alcohol withdrawal symptoms can occur when the person has been consuming too much alcohol and now has suddenly either reduced the alcohol use or has stopped consuming it.
Signs and symptoms of alcohol withdrawal include:
- Tachycardia (increased heart rate)
- Nausea And Vomiting
If you want to stop consuming alcohol, you should seek professional help for it. The healthcare providers will give you supportive treatment. Please do not leave on your own. When you do that, your body can not adjust to it and withdrawal symptoms occur because your body is addicted to it. To get rid of alcohol addiction, you need to get full rehabilitation. Never think that you can not do that. With external support and your efforts, you can stop consuming alcohol and get back to life.
To sum up, the association between denial and alcohol use disorder occurs when the person consuming alcohol denies that he is addicted to it. Asking for help from a healthcare provider is essential to treat alcohol use disorder because it can result in serious health complications, leading to death.
If you drink too much alcohol, it can cause various symptoms leading to complications. Visit the doctor soon. To get an expert opinion, you can visit an Internal medicine Doctor in Darul Sehat Hospital.