Do you have a black dress in your closet that you love to wear but you don’t know what kind of accessories to pair it with? We have some helpful tips for you!
Over the years, black dresses have become a staple in most wardrobes. Styles range from the must-have little black dress (LBD) to show-stopping ball gowns from designers like Sherri Hill.
These timeless classics look fabulous no matter the occasion, but it’s not enough to just throw on a black dress. You have to add the right accessories to complete your look.
But what colors should you choose for your accessories? Read on to find out how to wear color with a black dress.
What Color Accessories With a Black Dress?
While wearing a black dress is often synonymous with being stylish, there’s no reason to avoid wearing color with your outfit. Color can be a great way to add extra spice to your black dress, making it look more exciting and dynamic.
Find a Color That Complements the Black
To start with, here are some basic tips for how to highlight a black dress with colored accessories. First, it’s important to find a color that complements the black.
Think of color contrasts. For example, if your dress is dark black, you can add a splash of vivid color to really make it stand out. Bright colors tend to bring the most attention to your dress, while softer colors can add a more subtle effect.
Mix Things Up!
When you’re picking the colors that go with your black dress, you’ll want to think about how mixing the color with black impacts your overall style. Keep these tips in mind to nail your lock:
- If you’re feeling daring, try mixing two colors. For example, adding a bright red belt with yellow polka dots over your black dress can create an eye-catching look.
- You can also add a scarf in a solid, contrasting color to bring out your dress’s silhouette. When choosing a scarf, try to avoid overly matching colors, like black and white, as this can create too much of a uniform look.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment with textures and patterns for some extra pizzazz. Try pairing a solid black dress with a printed scarf for an unexpected yet stylish look.
- On the other hand, if you prefer a more traditional style, a printed cardigan can add exciting and unexpected detail to your dress.
- By pairing up color accessories with a black dress, you can create a modern and timeless look. Whether you opt for a bold combination or a more subtle approach, you will make a statement with your outfit.
Have fun experimenting with different colors and textures to find a look that’s uniquely you!
Using Neutral Colors
To avoid an overly busy look when wearing color accessories with a black dress, it’s a good idea to include neutrals such as white, gray, or beige. Neutral colors provide the perfect backdrop for adding a statement piece, such as a brightly colored necklace or a patterned scarf.
These timeless tones also help to balance the outfit, giving it a more polished effect. To create an interesting and sophisticated look, pair a black dress with neutral pieces and then play around with various color combinations.
Using Bright Colors
If you’re looking for a bold fashion statement, wearing a black number and adding bright colors can make a statement. Bold shades of orange, yellow, and pink are a great way to add a pop to your dress.
Adding these colors creates a modern and stylish look. If you want a more subtle look, pair black with a soft pastel like blue, pink, or mint green.
Remember to keep your colors balanced, and don’t be afraid to be creative. By pairing colors strategically, you can create a unique look that is perfect for any occasion.
Choosing Colorful Accessories for Your Black Dress
One of the easiest and most impactful ways to add color to a black dress is to choose colorful accessories. Accessories are the perfect way to add some life to a dark-colored outfit, and they’re also easy to switch up if you’re looking to add different color palettes to an ensemble.
- When shopping for accessories, look for bright colors that stand out and bring attention to your look. Bold hues like pink, red, yellow, or green naturally complement a black dress. Another option is to choose bright-colored shoes and handbags to add vibrancy to a dark outfit.
- Chunky jewelry pieces like statement necklaces, oversized earrings, and solid-colored rings are great accessories for a black dress. Simple accessories like hats, scarves, and belts also effectively add extra color to your look.
- When pairing accessories with a black dress, the best advice is to have fun and experiment with different colors. Don’t be afraid to make a statement with bright and bold accessories, and don’t hesitate to mix and match different colors for an eclectic look.
The goal is to create an outfit that is both fun and stylish. So don’t be afraid to take risks and make a statement with your accessories!
Add Color Through Shoes
When wearing a black dress, it’s essential to inject color in subtle ways. Shoes are perfect for this, as you can easily change them to match your look and the occasion. So, considering choosing a pair of brightly colored shoes for your outfit.
Neutral colors such as nude and champagne add a touch of elegant sophistication to your look. Choosing scarlet or cobalt-colored shoes will make a bold statement, or you can choose a combination of colors for a unique style.
Whichever you choose, shoes can be a fun and creative way to make a statement without taking away from the chic look of a black dress.
Adding a Colorful Scarf
If you want to add a splash of color to your black dress, consider opting for a colorful scarf. Not only is it a chic touch to your outfit, but it’s also an easy way to add a bit of warmth when the temperature drops.
Whether you opt for a light summer scarf or a heavier winter scarf, you’ll be sure to turn heads in your brightly colored accessory.
Plus, you can switch it out quickly to match any outfit you wear. Try experimenting with multiple colors and patterns to find the perfect one that fits your style.
Choosing Colorful Earrings to Wear with a Black Dress
Matching a black dress with bright and colorful earrings is a fun and fashionable way to add a pop of color to any outfit. Whether you wear a statement earring or a smaller and more subtle style, such as a stud or hoop, there are endless options for finding the perfect pair.
For a bold look, consider chandelier earrings or dangling drops in bright shades like yellow, purple, blue, or green. If you’d prefer something more subtle, opt for a classic metal, like copper, rose gold, or sterling silver.
For a timeless look, go with simple pearls in contrasting shades. Whatever your style is, by including a pair of colorful earrings, you’ll instantly brighten up your black dress and make a statement.
Adding Color With a Power Necklace
When wearing color with that classic black dress, a statement necklace can be a fantastic way to enhance the look. Whether you select a power piece with beads or stones, playful pendants, or a bold choker, a necklace can instantly draw more attention to your neckline.
For a subtler approach, you could opt for a delicate choker with light-colored stones or pendants that lightly add color to your ensemble. Alternatively, if you’re aiming for a bolder statement, why not try a collar with large, brightly-colored gems or stones to make a truly unforgettable fashion statement?
Whatever style you choose, don’t be afraid to show your true colors with a standout statement necklace.
Colored Accessories to Make That Black Dress Pop!
Wearing the right color accessories with a black dress is a great way to add flair to your look. Whether you go for the classic neutrals, bright colors, or a bit of both, you’re sure to make a statement without overdoing it.
Colorful accessories, shoes, scarves, statement necklaces, and earrings can all bring life to a black dress without being too over-the-top.
With all these options, you can easily find a way to bring out your personality and unique style through your ensemble. So don’t be afraid to explore the possibilities and express your individuality through the colors you wear with your favorite black number.